Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cadillac Complaints and Recalls

Below are some reviews from other CTS owners of the first generation Cadillac CTS that are similar to the issues we have been experiencing with the vehicle:

3rd Sep 2007, 15:25
I have a 2003 CTS. The original tires lasted 32,000 miles before I was unable to rotate the tires due to uneven tire wear and according to the dealer this was not an uncommon problem. I was told I was lucky to get this many miles on my tires.
I replaced the tires to get rid of the vibration and wobble noise. I purchased Goodyear RSA's 17". After 7500 miles the front right tire had a blow-out at 70 mph. Goodyear states the blow-out was due to low tire pressure and no fault of the workmanship or material related condition of the tire. I'm not sure if it was the tire pressure or the tire quality whatever I'm afraid the other tires will also have a blow-out. I rarely drive this car now because I don't trust the tires. I plan to get new tires even tho I have little tread wear on these.
This will be my last Cadillac and last purchase of Goodyear tires. http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/cadillac/cts/r74638/comments/page-2/

2007-11-11 00:00:00 Yuma, AZ
2006 caddilac cts. four seperate incidents in less than two years where the rear differential, pinion seal has leaked at highway speeds causing smoke, noise and rendered the car un-driveable. four seperate tows, four seperate strandings. two of the strandings were in the middle of the night. blogs and discussions i have read indicate this problem is wide spread. some report the rear axle locking up and causing a situation that could have been life threatening. the car has been to four seperate caddilac dealer repair facilities and each time they just bubble-gum repair (replace the defective seal) and send me on my way hoping that my warranty will expire before the same old problem happens again. i no longer have confidence in the car. i rent when i must travel out of town. this car is going to get me killed and likely some other innocent people when the rear end locks-up on the freeway at 75 mph. the incident date noted below is only the most recent. the car was towed 40 miles to fisher chevrolet caddilac in yuma, arizona and remains there as of this date.
________________________________________
DOT is finally investigating the differential problem with CTS and CTS-Vs
I received a phone call from Steve McHenry with the Department of Transportation in Washington D.C.

He is currently investigating problems with the Cadillac CTS and CTS-V rear differential. The NHTSA has turned over all of the complaints to DOT and after seeing so many reports, DOT is launching a full investigation.

He contacted me because I had reported my problem to the NHTSA and he got my contact information from there. I asked if he had tried any of the forums and listed several. He said that while NHTSA is the main source of contacts, he has looked at different forums. However, he said that it was difficult to get contact information from a message board. Mr. McHenry requested that I put his contact info up on the boards for us to give him our accounts of problems we've had.

What Mr. McHenry is asking is that anyone who has experienced catastrophic failure with their differential in the CTS or CTS-V to please contact him at either

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2009/749753-dot-finally-investigating-differential-problem-cts-cts-vs.html


6th Sep 2006, 10:32
I have a 2003 CTS and replaced the RSA tires twice since owning (55K). The service consultant told me that he has never seen a tire wear (cupping and choppy) so bad unless it is a car that is literally heading to the junk yard. I replaced my tires... last year and wouldn't you know, it is in the dealership to get the tired replaced again... at a cost of 198 per tire. Can you believe this? They told me it is my fault and the alignment is way way out. a.041 degree). Whatever that means. If I look at degrees..041 is less than 1/2 of a degree--doesn't sound like that should be the culprit or much misaligned. Anyway, it is off to the Toyota dealership to Trade in the Caddy.. Sorry GM---if you would just pay attention to your customers. My First and LAST Cadillac. http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/cadillac/cts/r74638/comments/
There is some controversy surrounding the rear differential and half-shafts of the 2004-2005 models. In addition to many internet forum postings from unhappy owners, one can find reference to the "whine" problem in Road & Track's November 2006 issue. [1] There are also numerous complaints with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) for both the 2004 [2] and 2005 [3] models. On page 6 of the November 2006 issue of GM High Tech Performance, [4] author Rick Jensen claims to have an internal GM document indicating that some engineers within GM and Delphi realized the torque load from the engine could exceed the half shafts capabilities. Cadillac/GM have not released anything official, though some dealers have replaced the units under warranty. The upgraded differential starting in 2006 is seen by some as a silent admission of the problem. http://wapedia.mobi/en/Cadillac_CTS-V
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 05111
Recall ID # 07V589000 - POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL - Hide Details
Recall Date: DEC 20, 2007
Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL
Model Affected: CTS
Potential Units Affected: 275936
Recall Date:
DEC 20, 2007
Model Affected:
2005 CADILLAC CTS
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE REAR AXLE PINION SEAL DOES NOT MEET ALL OF THE SPECIFICATIONS AND MAY EXPERIENCE A FLUID LEAK.
Consequence:
A REAR DIFFERENTIAL FAILURE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER AND POSSIBLY LOSS OF CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PINION SEAL FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 1, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-800-458-8006 OR HTTP://WWW.CADILLAC.COM; PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 OR HTTP://WWW.PONTIAC.COM; AND SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876 OR HTTP://WWW.SATURN.COM.
Potential Units Affected:
275936
Notes:
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 07204
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/cadillac/cts_v/recalls/index.html
Complaint about Cadillac CTS-2005
To GM Customer Complaint Department,
Subject: complaint about Cadillac CTS
I purchased my Cadillac CTS in August 2006 and since then I have been having technical problems that never ended. At first and 2 weeks after I bought it I noticed loud noise coming out of the differential. I took the car to the dealer and took them on a ride and made them hear the noise. Surprisingly they were not able to identify the source. They suspected the noise was coming out of the bearings but apparently it was not. I had to see them every time I took the car for service and they only managed to get it solved this week. http://www.complaints.com/2007/october/4/Complaint_about_Cadillac_CTS-2005_151523.htm

#31 of 41
Re: replaced tire on new cts [wasco] by wunderbread
Feb 08, 2008 (9:20 pm)

Replying to: wasco (Jan 14, 2008 8:15 am)
I don't know if you've resolved this problem yet, but it sounds to me like you have a lock-up problem. The speeds at which you're describing your vibration is when the torque converter clutch engages, aka 'lock-up'. A lock up clutch can shutter/chatter on engagement--this problem is easily and often misdiagnosed as an engine misfire. There is a GM service bulletin on this exact problem for your car. Most of the time it is fixed by a simple reprogramming of the computer, if that does not fix it then step 2 is a new torque converter. Hope this helps, I can get the bulletin # if you need it.

#9 of 18
Re: Problems with 2005 CTS [ctsjunk] by temj12
Oct 21, 2006 (11:06 am)

Replying to: ctsjunk (Oct 21, 2006 5:04 am)
I am surprised that you are talking about the roaring. I have an '05 CTS with 26,000 miles. At this point, I have not had any repair problems but it is early yet. At 15,000 miles, my tires were cupped and roaring. I am replacing them the next week. I am going to try the recommended rotation every 5,000 and the alignment every 15,000 and see if the second run is better. It is ridiculous that a car would be designed with this type of alignment problem. I am not sure what the directional issue would do. My son had the same thing as you on a 2005 Civic and it affected the handling. If you have gotten 25,000 miles plus out of your tires, then I would not say you have worn them any more than normal. A guy was in the tire store here with a CTS-V and he has to replace his tires every 12,000. No wonder General Motors is in trouble. The Cadillac dealer is the one who has advised me on the rotation and alignment. He says the car has a very aggressive suspension. Wow! http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f480a
- Show quoted text -

No comments:

Post a Comment